Tuesday, July 21, 2009

GARRETT LEE MERRILL


For those who don't facebook or haven't heard the news, Garrett finally joined our family on July 11th and weighed in at 8 lbs. 15 oz. His large birth weight contributed to the fact that after a day of labor and five hours of pushing we had to do an emergency C-section. I won't go into all the specifics or I might never have another child. As I like to say my luck went from bad to worse when at 3:00 a.m. the next morning two nurses came into our room and said that Garrett was having trouble breathing and that he needed to be admitted into the NICU. I now have a new appreciation for parents who have babies in the NICU. They started antibiotics and for some reason would not let me feed him for the first two days. To say that I was emotional would be an understatement. There is nothing like holding your baby with tubes down his throat, oxygen up his nose and a huge IV in his arm to break your heart. All of the x-rays and labs came back clear, however we were informed that once they start antibiotics they normally have to stay for a week. Another set back! I didn't want to think about leaving the hospital without my baby. They let me stay as long as possible so I went home Wednesday at 11:30 p.m. We pushed and questioned every nurse and doctor and were able to take Garrett home the next day Thursday at 12:30 after the doctor looked at the labs from that morning. It is so nice to have Garrett home (well Grandma's house), where his big sister and brother can fight over holding him. Josie has been the biggest helper, she really is the best big sister. Her big thing now is that she wants to hold him while standing up. I don't understand her fascination but she is stuck on the idea. Mommy hasn't let that happen yet but she keeps trying. Garrett loves his big brother, everytime Parker holds him Garrett seems to be awake and happy.

14 comments:

Deb said...

Congrats & what a cutie! So glad to hear that Garrett is doing better and everyone is home.

Nicole said...

Congratulations! He looks so much like Parker and Josie. I am happy you are all home and doing well. Have a speedy recovery!

Joni Wiedrich said...

Congrats again! Glad you are all home together now. That's a tough thing to go through. I bet Josie is a great big sister. It's just too bad the older ones can't get up with them at night! :)

katielovie said...

Such a beautiful baby!! :) I'm glad that everything is better....

Courtney said...

Congratulations! Sorry to hear you had a rough few days, something about having huge babies causes complications.

Heidi said...

Congratulations! I can't even begin to imagine the emotions surrounding a child in the NICU, and I'm glad that everything is better. I'm sure Garrett has some of the best parents and siblings on the face of the planet!

Jessica said...

He already looks like Parker in that first picture! Congratulations, he looks pretty perfect. I'm glad Josie has warmed up to the idea of another little brother, haha.

Tommy and Jolynn said...

You have been blessed with a beautiful family! Congratulations! Can't wait to hold him!

Kristine said...

Sounds like we can now trade "war stories"! That's pretty much how my first delivery went too. I'm glad everyone is home and that you've got people around you to help!!! Garrett is a cutie and looks just like your other kids. Hope you recover quickly!

Anonymous said...

I understand completly what Josie's going through. I was about the same age when David was born and remember the first time I got to hold him standing up. My mom was outside doing yard work and he crawled outside and she asked me to carry him back inside. I was in heaven. I also remember sitting on the couch holding her babysitting kids and when she left the room I would stand up so that I could hold them standing up. I know, kids are wierd.

Lindsey said...

Congratulations, he is beautiful! I'm so sorry things didn't work out as planned. I hope your recovery is smooth!

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Congratulations! Wish I could be there to see him. I miss you guys!

Green Montana said...

Congatulations on your new addition. Yeah!!! I love the name Garrett! Wow, sounds like it was a bumpy road at first. I'm so glad things turned out alright and that you're both doing better. These little guys are such miracles, aren't they? We're very happy for you.

Natalie said...

I'm a little late getting around to checking all the blogs. Congrats!!! What a cutie he is. I can't wait to see more recent pictures.